Why Use CPR’s Administered Arbitration Rules
for your Commercial Disputes?
We understand your needs. CPR’s rules were created by users, for users—so we’ve been you, we get you and we’ve got you covered. Your corporate dispute is stressful enough. Whether for an administered matter or any number of other services that CPR offers, let our experienced and insightful staff guide you through the process. CPR: It’s good for business.
Quality Not all rules are the same—ours have won awards for innovation. All neutrals aren’t the same either—CPR’s panel of 620 mediators, arbitrators and other neutrals is distinguished and dynamic, increasingly diverse and responsive, adjusting in real time to meet the continuously changing needs of our users. And CPR offers personalized, concierge-level consulting and case management services, by highly experienced, accessible and multilingual attorneys.
- Quality comes from experience — Over the years, CPR has handled more than one trillion dollars in disputes
- Parties remain in control of the process
- Peer-reviewed and cutting-edge rules, protocols and clauses
- CPR arbitrators possess superior process and subject matter qualifications. More than 30 specialty panels with arbitrators specialized to resolve many types of disputes.
- Currently, CPR’s neutrals come from 29 different countries, speak 39 languages and 165 of them are located outside of the USA.
- Numerous arbitrator selection options are available, including default option empowering each side to select an arbitrator for three-person tribunal unless parties opt for a sole arbitrator
- Cases are managed by highly experienced, accessible and multilingual attorneys
- CPR’s Arbitration Committee demonstrates continued thought leadership and innovation in the field adapting the rules and developing protocols and guidelines to constantly improve the quality of CPR arbitration
Efficiency and Lower Costs You may have heard that arbitration isn’t all that different from litigation—that it takes too long and costs almost as much. Well, not all arbitrations are the same. CPR has addressed many of the criticisms and concerns people may have about arbitration.
- Time is money—CPR’s Rules have been designed to increase efficiencies, lowering overall costs, benefitting all parties
- Easy commencement process—No cumbersome paper filing requirements
- Rapid appointment of the Tribunal – It typically takes 2-4 weeks for the Tribunal to be appointed from the time of filing, but it can be expedited.
- Efficient timeline with built-in benchmarks and accountability—CPR must approve any extensions
- CPR is a savvy yet unobtrusive administrator, which maximizes direct tribunal-party interaction
- Settlement opportunities highlighted—Tribunal is encouraged to suggest mediation/settlement at any stage; it is not just limited to parties’ initiative
- Administrative fees based on a scale of amounts at issue, capped at US$34,000 for a 12-month case, split among the parties, for disputes over US$500 millions
- Arbitrators are free to set up their fees on a case by case basis but must disclose their rates up front during the selection process
Integrity CPR offers integrity, neutrality and a commitment to the rule of law, to ensure a fair and just process for all parties to the arbitration.
- Arbitrators must be independent and neutral—No exceptions
- Arbitrators must disclose potential conflicts of interest and their availability up front during the selection process
- Innovative and award winning “Screened Selection Process” available—Arbitrators can be selected without knowing which party made the selection to enhance neutrality and independence
- Unlike other providers, broad confidentiality applies to all participants: parties, arbitrators and CPR
- Unlike other providers, CPR requires Tribunals to apply the rule of law; rulings are not left to an arbitrator’s subjective “sense of fairness.”
- Awards must be written and reasoned
- Arbitrator challenges are decided by an independent Challenge Review Panel
Access CPR’s Administered Arbitration Rules (domestic) online here.
Access CPR Rules for Administered Arbitration of International Disputes here.
Access CPR’s Model Clauses online here.
You may also be interested in CPR's Dispute Resolution Clause Selection Tool (which allows you to select the appropriate existing model clause for your needs) or The Complete Clause Tool for CPR Administered Arbitration (which lets you tailor the standard CPR clause for the CPR Administered Arbitration Rules or International Rules to your business needs).