2020 CPR International Mediation Competition
São Paulo, Brazil
2020 CPR INTERNATIONAL MEDIATION COMPETITION
The 2020 International Mediation Competition is cancelled. Please click here for additional information.
As the only international mediation competition held in Latin America, the CPR International Mediation Competition is a unique opportunity for students to learn and practice mediation and negotiation skills through the role-playing of a mediation problem drafted by experienced mediators and practitioners. The competition convenes students and distinguished ADR professionals from around the globe providing exceptional networking opportunities.
The 2020 CPR International Mediation Competition will take place for two days on March 28-29, 2020, in São Paulo, Brazil. The competition will be hosted by Demarest Advogados and will be preceded by a training for students, taking place on March 27, 2020.
Teams interested in participating in the competition must pre-register by November 15, 2019. Pre-registered teams will undergo a selection process and only a limited number of teams will be selected to participate in the competition.
We present you the 2020 CPR International Mediation Competition teams! This year, we have selected 18 teams from Africa, Asia, North America and South America.
- Africa Nazarene University - Kenya
- American University - Washington College of Law - USA
- Faculdades Milton Campos - Brazil
- Fundação Getúlio Vargas - Escola de Direito de São Paulo (FGV DIREITO SP) - Brazil
- Harvard Law School - USA
- National University of Singapore - Singapore
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais (PUC Minas) - Brazil
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo - Brazil
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná - Brazil
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC Rio) - Brazil
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul - Brazil
- Symbiosis Law School - India
- Universidad Católica Santiago de Guayaquil - Ecuador
- Universidade de São Paulo - Brazil
- Universidade Estadual de Londrina - Brazil
- Universidade Federal do Paraná - Brazil
- Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie - Brazil
- Universidade Vila Velha - Brazil
- Competition conducted in English
- Each team plays the role of mediator, counsel, and client
- The Competition is structured around General Rounds, in which all Competing Teams participate, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals, and Final Rounds
- Each team competes for a Mediation Prize and a Negotiation Prize, as well as Best Client, Counsel, Written Statement and Best Teamwork
- The Problem will be developed by a team of highly-regarded mediators and practitioners and will involve an international business dispute mediated pursuant to the CPR International Mediation Procedure.
- The Problem and confidential information for the purposes of submitting the Written Statement will be released in January 2020.
- Confidential information applicable to each oral round will be released at least 1 hour before each round.
- The Problem for last year's competition is available here.
The Organizing Team will allocate a limited scholarship to participate in the competition to a team with limited financial means. To apply for a scholarship, teams should submit a request for scholarship describing (i) their thoughts on how mediation, as an alternative dispute resolution method, may contribute to resolve disputes in their country; (ii) how they believe that participating in the competition might help them develop mediation in their country; and (iii) the scholarship amount they are seeking and how they will secure the rest of the funding needed considering the cost estimate to attend the competition provided by the Organizing Committee in the Competition FAQ and the fact that the scholarship will most likely only partially cover their expenses. Please submit the request for a scholarship by November 29, 2019, to Chris Silva at email@example.com.
Please consider sponsoring the competition. Sponsorship will enable the Organizing Committee to cover the general costs of organizing the competition and to create a scholarship fund for participating teams with financial needs who might not be able to come to São Paulo to attend the competition without financial aid. Please view the sponsorship opportunities here.
Please follow the competition on social media with the Twitter hashtag #CPRMed20 and our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cprimc/.
2020 International Mediation Competition Co-Chairs:
Olivier André | CPR
Clare Connellan | White & Case
Cesar Rossi Machado | Demarest Advogados
Laura França Pereira | Three Crowns LLP
Thabata Silva Rodrigues | L.O. Baptista
Click here for information about prior editions of the competition.
If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For sponsorship opportunities, email Olivier André at email@example.com.