2019 CPR International Mediation Competition
São Paulo, Brazil
2019 CPR INTERNATIONAL MEDIATION COMPETITION
April 4 – 6, 2019 | São Paulo, Brazil
The Winning Teams:
1st Place – Faculdade de Direito Milton Campos
2nd Place – Escola de Direito de São Paulo da Fundação Getúlio Vargas
3rd Place – American University Washington College of Law
1st Place – Harvard Law School
2nd Place - Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná
3rd Place – Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie
Best Counsel – Ana Vitória Zanatta, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul
Best Client – Caitlin Amanda Miller Hoeberlein, Harvard Law School
Best Team Work – University of Nairobi, School of Law
Best Written Statements (It's a tie!) -
Universidade de São Paulo
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul
Social Media – Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie
Congratulations to all of you for a job well done!!!
We also would like to thank all the Judges, hosts CAM-CCBC, Sponsors, Supporting Entities, the Problem Team, Volunteers, and the Organizing Committee for all their tireless efforts in making this competition happen.
TO VIEW PHOTOS OF THE COMPETITION,
NAVIGATE TO THE NEXT TAB NAMED "PHOTO GALLERY" OR VISIT HERE.
TO WATCH A RECORDED BROADCAST OF THE COMPETITION FINAL, VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE HERE: https://www.facebook.com/cprimc/
CENTER FOR ARBITRATION AND MEDIATION OF THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE BRAZIL-CANADA (CAM - CCBC)
The 2019 CPR International Mediation Competition took place for two days on April 5 – 6, 2019, in São Paulo, Brazil. The competition was hosted by CAM-CCBC and preceded by a training for students, taking place on April 4, 2019.
As the only international mediation competition held in Latin America, the CPR International Mediation Competition is a unique opportunity for students to learn and practice mediation and negotiation skills through the role-playing of a mediation problem drafted by experienced mediators and practitioners. The competition convenes students and distinguished ADR professionals from around the globe providing exceptional network opportunities.
We would like to thank all the teams for their participation and hard work in a highly successful 2019 CPR International Mediation Competition:
- American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C., USA
- Centro Universitário de João Pessoa – Unipê, João Pessoa, Paraíba, Brazil
- Columbia Law School, New York, NY, USA
- Escola de Direito de São Paulo da Fundação Getúlio Vargas, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
- Faculdade de Direito Milton Campos, Nova Lima, Minas Gerais, Brazil
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- Hugh Wooding Law School, Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná, Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
- Symbiosis Law School, Pune - Symbiosis International University, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- University of Nairobi, School of Law, Nairobi, Kenya
- University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, USA
- Universidade do Estado do Amazonas, Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil
- Universidade Federal do Paraná, Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil
- Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
- Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
- Universidade Vila Velha, Vila Velha, Espírito Santo, Brazil
- The competition was conducted in English
- Each team was required to submit a Written Statement before the oral rounds which will be factored in the Negotiation team’s total score
- The Competition was structured around General Rounds, in which all Competing Teams participated, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals, and Final Rounds
- Each team competed for a Mediation Prize and a Negotiation Prize, as well as Best Client, Counsel, Written Statement and Best Teamwork.
- The Problem was developed by a team of highly-regarded mediators and practitioners, and involves an international business dispute.
- The Problem and confidential information for the purposes of submitting the Written Statement were released in January 2019.
- Confidential information applicable to each oral round was released at least 1 hour before each round
The Problem for this year's competition is available here.
Teams with limited financial means were able to apply for a limited scholarship to participate in the competition. To apply for a scholarship, teams, when they submit their pre-registration form, sent a cover letter of 750 to 1000 words briefly describing (i) their thoughts on how mediation, as an alternative dispute resolution method, may contribute to resolve disputes in their country; (ii) how they believe the competition might help them develop mediation in their country; and (iii) the scholarship amount they are seeking and how they will secure the rest of the funding considering the cost estimate to attend the competition provided by the Organizing Committee in the Competition FAQ and the fact that the scholarship will most likely only partially cover their expenses.
Please consider sponsoring future competition, enabling the Organizing Committee to cover the general costs of organizing the competition and to create a scholarship fund for participating teams with financial needs who might not be able to come to São Paulo to attend the competition without financial aid. The scholarship will be allocated by the Organizing Committee based on a number of criteria including (1) diversity; (2) the funding need; (3) a statement from the applicants on how participating in the competition will help them develop mediation in their countries. Please view the sponsorship opportunities here.
Review recaps, photos and recorded broadcasts of the competition on social media with the #CPRMed19 hashtag. Follow also our CPR International Mediation Competition Facebook page.
2019 International Mediation Competition Co-Chairs:
Olivier André | CPR
Carolina Allodi M. de Andrade | L.O. Baptista
Clare Connellan | White & Case
Luíza Kömel | CAM-CCBC
Vanessa Winkler | Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr e Quiroga
Click here for information about prior editions of the competition.
If you have any questions or would like to sponsor the competition, please email :
Chris Silva at email@example.com
Olivier André at firstname.lastname@example.org.