Arbitration in the Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences Sectors - Zurich
At this event, organized jointly by the International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR), LALIVE and Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP, a panel of distinguished speakers will discuss arbitration in the pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors.
It is no secret that many international contracts in the pharmaceutical and life sciences sector contain international arbitration clauses and that according to the statistics of many arbitral institutions, the number of pharma disputes is on the rise. But pharma disputes are extremely varied in nature, encompassing not only patent and licensing disputes but also commercial claims arising from M&A transactions; joint development and partnership contracts; and distribution or manufacturing agreements. Recent years have also seen pharma companies filing investor-state claims to protect their intellectual property and investments abroad.
At this event, organized jointly by the International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR) and LALIVE, a panel of distinguished speakers from the pharma and life sciences industries will discuss the types of disputes they face and the extent to which international arbitration today is a suitable means to resolving them. In addition, they will explore how arbitral processes and practices might be improved in order to better address the needs and specificities of the industry and to ensure that – going forward – arbitration continues to be their international dispute resolution mechanism of choice.
This event is supported by the CPR Arbitration Committee and the CPR Healthcare and Life Sciences Committee, and will be held in English.
- Olivier P. André – Senior Vice President, International, CPR
- Hagit Muriel Elul – Partner & Co-Chair, International Arbitration at Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP and Chair of CPR Arbitration Committee
- Melissa Magliana – Partner, LALIVE
Speakers will include:
- Claudia Götz Stähelin – Partner, Kellerhals Carrard & Former Head of Litigation at Novartis
- Dr. Ursula Königer – Head of Law Strategic Marketing / Oncology / BD&L / Commercial Operations, Bayer AG
- Gavin Pope – Head Legal Global Pharmaceuticals Development, Medical Affairs & Litigation at Novartis AG
- Allen Waxman – President & CEO of CPR & Former General Counsel of Pfizer, Eisai & Roivant Sciences
6:15-7:30: Panel discussion
Space is limited and registrations will be confirmed on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that the list of registrants for this session will be shared with LALIVE for the purpose of organizing this event.