Letter from CPR President & CEO, Allen Waxman
January 1, 2022
Less Conflict. More Purpose.
“Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.”
John Lennon and Paul McCartney – “We Can Work It Out”
Dear CPR Community:
This line from the Beatles seems particularly relevant right now.
At CPR, we want to help you manage conflict to enable purpose. Our mission is to harness the insights and experiences of our members to prevent and resolve business disputes more effectively and efficiently. There simply are too many things to be accomplished than to expend resources needlessly on “fussing” and “fighting.”
As we cross the threshold of a new year, we want to thank all of you for your continued support of CPR. We are humbled by the dedication to our mission demonstrated by our members and friends who, even in these difficult times, have joined us and share our sense of urgency to find better ways to prevent and resolve disputes in the face of ever-more complex challenges.
In 1977, CPR was founded by general counsel who believed there were better alternatives to resolve disputes than litigation. Today, CPR is ready to continue its leadership across the spectrum of dispute management by creating and improving on dispute prevention and resolution mechanisms that will meet the needs of a disruptive 21st Century society and economy.
This year we want to do more to advance our mission and reduce conflict:
- MORE mentoring of young lawyers interested in ADR
- MORE efforts at expanding the pipeline and training of diverse neutrals
- MORE advocacy to expand the capacity for dispute management globally
- MORE innovations to prevent disputes that distract from purpose
- MORE sharing and development of industry-specific best practices to address constantly evolving specialized needs
As you think about what you want to accomplish in 2022, turn to CPR for information and knowledge on topics relating to dispute prevention, resolution and management:
- CPR committees plan and schedule relevant and practical webinars and panel discussions throughout the year.
- CPR task forces assemble leaders to develop tools for dispute prevention and resolution.
- cpradr.org has a library of video, audio and printed resources available 24/7.
- Our annual meeting provides thought-provoking content and excellent networking opportunities; the theme for the March 2022 meeting is “Innovations, Options and Opportunities: Technology & Dispute Management”.
- CPR Dispute Resolution case managers are available to administer your matter when you are ready to resolve a business dispute.
We hope you will adopt our mission as a pillar of your practice in 2022, and join or re-join our unique community. Thank you in advance for your support, your time, your energy and your dedication to our mission. Together, we can work it out.
Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours,
President & CEO