CPR Announces 2017 International Mediation Competition May 16-17 in Sao Paulo
Twelve teams from around the world selected to participate
May 2, 2017
New York, NY – The International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR), a global non-profit organization that advances dispute prevention and resolution practices and provides high quality solutions has announced the inaugural edition of its International Mediation Competition to take place at the Chamber of Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration CIESP/FIESP in São Paulo. This initiative is an important step for the institution to further promote commercial mediation with the younger generation of lawyers in South America and the rest of the world.
This first edition of the competition, hosted by CIESP/FIESP and sponsored by Winston & Strawn LLP and L.O. Baptista Advogados, is open to 12 teams from around the world. The Award Ceremony will take place at the law firm of L.O. Baptista Advogados in São Paulo.
The following 12 teams have been selected to participate in this year’s competition:
- Universidade Vila Velha – Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
- University of Florida Levin College of Law – Gainseville, FL, USA
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul - Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
- Faculdades Milton Campos - Nova Lima, MG, Brazil
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná - Curitiba, PR, Brazil
- School of Law, Christ University - Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie - São Paulo, SP, Brazil
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo - São Paulo, SP, Brazil
- Universidade de São Paulo - São Paulo, SP, Brazil
- Jagiellonian University - Kraków, Małopolska, Poland
- Universidade de Fortaleza (UNIFOR) - Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
- Faculdades Integradas Vianna Junior – Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil
The Ground Rules:
- Only 12 teams are invited to participate in the first edition of the competition
- The competition will be conducted in English
- One team per university
- Law and business students can participate
- Competitors will act as mediators, counsel and clients
- Each team must have at least three members (one of them must be a law student to act as counsel)
- Registration is free
The competition will start with a conference at which leading professors, mediators and practitioners will speak and provide practical insights to the moot participants contributing to their learning experience.
Due to space limitations, the competition and pre-competition conference are not open to the public. However, a limited number of observers will be permitted to attend. If interested please email Chris Silva.
The Mediation Competition will take place two days before CPR’s V Brazil Business Dispute Management Congress which will take place at Universidade Positivo on May 19, 2017 in Curitiba and is organized in collaboration with ARBITAC and the Commercial Association of the State of Parana (ACP). The theme of this year’s congress is “Challenges and Opportunities in Times of Crisis.” Space is still available to attend the Congress. Click here for more information about the Congress.
For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Olivier André at email@example.com.
About CPR: CPR is an independent nonprofit organization that has helped global businesses prevent and resolve commercial disputes effectively and efficiently for the past 40 years. Our membership consists of top corporations and law firms, academic and government institutions, and leading mediators and arbitrators around the world. CPR is unique as: (1) a thought leader, driving a global dispute resolution culture; (2) a developer of cutting-edge tools and resources, powered by the collective innovation of its membership; and (3) an ADR provider offering innovative, practical arbitration rules, mediation and other dispute resolution procedures, and neutrals worldwide. For more information, please visit www.cpradr.org.
# # #