Uniquely bringing together in-house and outside counsel since 1977
CPR was the first organization to bring together corporate counsel and their law firms to find ways to lower the cost of litigation. Decades later, CPR continues to facilitate meaningful inside-outside counsel collaboration by demonstrating the powerful incentives that dispute resolution offers to both sides of this partnership.
The Power of the Pledge
In the 1980s, CPR was the first to develop a Policy Statement on Alternatives to Litigation (“CPR Pledge”) to encourage signatories to come to the table and thoughtfully discuss alternate approaches to resolving their disputes, instead of automatically running to court. To date, more than 4,000 companies and 1,500 law firms have signed. These CPR policy statements are bilateral and reflect the commitment of signing parties to considering ADR methods.
CPR then continued its efforts to change the way the world resolves conflict by creating its slightly updated “21st Century Corporate ADR Pledge.” Adopting the original pledge’s principles, the 21st Century Corporate ADR Pledge enhanced the focus on corporate commitment to proactive and thoughtful ADR programs supported by CPR’s full range of best practices and tools. Most importantly, the signatories have pledged to seek more thoughtful ways to avoid litigation unilaterally--regardless of whether the opposing party has done so as well. Early pledge signatories include members of CPR’s Board of Directors and CPR Council as well as other leading corporations.
Decades of cutting edge innovation
Since our founding, CPR and its members have worked collaboratively to develop the most innovative and cutting-edge rules, protocols and best practices to directly address business dispute resolution needs.
- 1977CPR is born, as Public Resources, Inc.
- 1979CPR becomes Center for Public Resources, Inc.
- 1982CPR Creates First Corporate Pledge
- 1982CPR Forms Panel of Neutrals
- 1983CPR Launches Awards Program
- 1983CPR Launches Alternatives
- 1986CPR Mediation Procedure
- 1989Model Mini Trial Procedure
- 1989Non Administered Arbitration Rules
- 1992CPR Rules for Non-Administered Arbitration of International Disputes
- 1994Procedure for resolution of franchise disputes
- 1994CPR becomes CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, Inc.
- 2002Model Rule for the Lawyer as Third-Party Neutral
- 2002Provider Principles
- 2004CPR Employment Mediation Procedure
- 2004CPR becomes The International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, Inc.
- 2005Rules for Non-Administered Arbitration of Patent and Trade Secret Disputes
- 2005CPR Mediation Principles for Insurer-Insured Disputes
- 2005International Reinsurance Industry Protocol
- 2006Rules for Expedited Arbitration of Construction Disputes
- 2009Protocol on Disclosure of Documents & Presentation of Witnesses Commercial Arbitration
- 2010Protocol on Determination of Damages in Arbitration
- 2011Guidelines for Early Disposition of Issues in Arbitration
- 2012Guidelines for Arbitrators Conducting Complex Arbitrations
- 2014Administered Arbitration of International Disputes Rules
- 2018CPR Updates Non-Administered Arbitration Rules (Domestic & Int'l)
- 2019CPR Updates Administered Arbitration Rules (Domestic & Int'l)